Renowned for embodying the highs and lows of mining endeavors, the Flow Edge Mining Company left its mark in history. After dedicating four years to the mine, they abandoned their efforts in 1808 upon discovering only two feeble veins. However, in 1812, John and Jacob Wilson seized the lease, and within a mere two years, struck a substantial vein of solid cerussite, measuring an impressive 20 feet wide at one point. This deposit boasted a rich array of minerals, including hydrozincite, smithsonite, aragonite, calcite, galena, and siderite, although specimens from this location are exceedingly rare in the market. The mine ceased operations in 1870.
1799-1808 John Walton, James Pearson & Co. 1812-1844 John & Jacob Wilson 1859-1871 Thomas Wilson & Co. Abandoned by the London Lead Company as a failure in 1808, but between 1814 and 1870 the mine produced 54,642 tons of lead concentrates.
External Links
Publications (3)
- Critchley, Martin F. (1984); PDMHS (Peak District Mines Historical Society) 09-1 Sum - History and Workings of the Nenthead Mines, Cumbria, The; 50 pages (1-50)
- Hudgill Burn; 1 pages
- Memoir of Thomas Sopwith; 1 pages